- This event has passed.
Organic Transition Learning Day
August 24 @ 9:00 am - 2:00 pm$5
Join Bob Haraden on his farm to see and hear about his family’s journey growing food-grade soybeans on McHenry County Conservation District-owned land, while also transitioning this and other parcels to organic production. As we rapidly enter a great land transition era, listen and learn about some of the barriers and innovative solutions farmers and landowners are navigating in order to ensure access to land remains equitable for farmers contributing to our regional food system, such as accessing publicly owned land or unique tenant opportunities. You’ll gain a deeper understanding of what’s required to successfully grow food-grade grains, including the harvest and post-harvest handling needs, and hear the specific market opportunities available for transition crops, organic crops and food-grade crops.
- Check-in at Marengo Park District and drive to Haraden Farm
- Field Tour of MCCD land in organic transition
- Lunch and Learn from a panel of local farmers, as well as:
- Brenna Ness, McHenry County Conservation District (MCCD)
- Nathan Aaberg, Liberty Prairie Foundation (LPF)
- Christine Johnson, Midwest Grains Resource & Immersive Training (GRIT) (Michael Fields Agricultural Institute)
This event is possible with a partnership between MCCD, The Land Conservancy of McHenry County, Liberty Prairie Foundation, and Michael Agricultural Institute’s Midwest GRIT.